14 February 2012

Hoo Peninsula Film Project

I’ve posted something very similar about this before, but no apologies for doing so again!

Since 2006, I’ve been meeting lots of the peninsula’s longer-standing residents, or ‘peninsula elders’ as you might like to call them, to record on camera their stories and memories about living and working here.


Often more than just the typical recollections you tend to read in history books, I’ve heard some fascinating tales. Always unique and sometimes shocking, it’s been a real pleasure to have listened to these personal insights into everyday life. And I’ve learnt so much about our local history, including the odd snippet about my own family!

When I’ve finished I’m planning to donate these recordings to historical archives and local history groups. I’d hope that future generations of historians, and residents, seeking to expand their knowledge of local social history might find them useful - and I know they’ll find the people in them interesting and often really funny!

I still have a whole list of people on my list to get through in the coming months, but it’s always good to hear of anyone else with a few interesting stories to tell.


Just get in touch via the contact page.