30 November 2018

Let there be light

I visited a number of local communities during the Armistice Centenary weekend earlier this month - to see the commemorations to mark the end of the First World War.

I ended my touring on the evening of Sunday 11th November at the site of the old Grain Fort, on the Isle of Grain, where St. James (Isle of Grain) Parish Council had organised the lighting of a special beacon, in conjunction with St. James Church and Kent Fire & Rescue Service (Grain).

The event was well attended by villagers, and was part of the nationwide 'Beacons of Light' tribute/commemoration.


The above image is poor quality, but I only had my phone camera available. To give you a better idea about what the Beacon actually looked like - here's a clearer image of one.


The Beacons symbolised the 'light of hope' that emerged from the darkness of four years of dreadful war.